Friday 24 August 2012

the whole is greater than the sum of its parts

Yesterday, I went to another event held by [State], a Birmingham performance platform. This time, it was held at the lowest level of The Vaults (a completely difference feeling from last time). I was totally amused by the space when I popped in. The title of this exhibition is called "the whole is greater than the sum of its part". Five art pieces and live arts were presented. They marked each piece with a number from 1 to 5. I supposed it guides people to walk from one artwork to the other in sequence. One of the artworks was by Abigail Duffty. People were given white lab coats to wear. People needed to wear it n order to enter into one of the specific spaces. They also showcased another amazing piece by Kate Spence. At that time, I didn't really understand the meanings of the works and why they can relate to the title of the exhibition.
I aimed to find out more when I got back home. The origin of 'the whole is greater than the sum of its part" was a quote by Aristotle. It can be referred to the central idea of Holism. Things should be viewed as wholes, not as collections of parts. No single thing can be fully understood in isolation from its extended context. This exhibition invites me to observe, to think more. They have their second part of the event held in ARTicle Gallery. Maybe I need to go to the second part in order to see the whole picture. 




No comments:

Post a Comment